Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Land Use, Land Cover Map

This lab was a test in my patience and a wish or desire to have a digital pen vice a mouse for completing it.  The purpose of this lab was to identify certain areas of a map and label them with the appropriate Land Use/Land Cover (LULC) code.  Using the skills we learned the previous week for  identifying certain land features along with our own personal knowledge of what different pieces of infrastructure looks like, I was able to go through and mark the key points in the map.  Some things I learned going through this lab and will need to apply (redo) for next weeks lab: 
1.  Large to small - definitely need to mark larger areas, like residential, first and then create the smaller areas, like commercial/reservoirs/etc, within the larger area.  I think this will create a cleaner look for future maps.  For this map I dove right into marking the marsh areas and then other smaller areas I easily recognized.  The order should have been something like big water area -> marshes -> beaches or residential -> commercial -> industrial -> reservoirs or something along those lines. 
2.  Work through zooming in and out and panning while creating the larger polygons.  More vertices will create a cleaner look and leave you less prone to overlapping polygons.  Despite using the snapping tool, I'm pretty sure I had some overlap in there. (Yes, I just dimed myself out)
3.  Something I need to figure out as I think in the future it would make for a more interesting map presentation is how to do different color polygon borders within the same shapefile.  Now this may not be feasible and multiple shapefiles would be needed, but I think color coding the different LULC types would make for a better map presentation as it would make it easier/quicker to identify different entities.

So that is it.  I will definitely be reworking this for future use.  And without further ado, here is my map:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment