Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Ground Truthing and Accuracy Assessment

Whew...this lab was somewhat exhausting.  Mostly because I was really not happy with how the previous lab turned out.  Since this lab was supposed to use last weeks lab as a baseline, I felt the need to redo last weeks lab and give myself a better start point.  Ultimately, many lessons were learned and more experience with the different tools of ArcGIS was gained.

So this weeks lab focused on ground truthing and accuracy assessment.  As we were not able to properly visit Pascagoula to conduct our In-Situ assessment, we used Google Maps and in particular the Street View feature built into it.  This allowed us to get down to "street level" and verify whether our LULC codes that we used in Lab 3 were accurate or not. 

Overall, I had an accuracy of 81.25%, which isn't too bad given my limited experience.  The majority of my inaccuracies came when the point I selected happened to be by a small church or something similar that originally appeared as part of the neighborhood developments.  Also given the small point, the overall LULC that was assigned overwhelmed it. 

This was a frustrating exercise at first, but then it all clicked and I was able to get through it fairly well.  Below is a copy of my output.  See you all next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment