Thursday, October 26, 2017

Data Search Lab

You have to love it when you start to get to a point in your map making process where you end up spending 4-5 times more effort and time finding the data you need than you do making the actual maps.  That was the case for me this week.  Some issues encountered were: simple trial and error to see if the data displayed was what I wanted, inability to find exactly what I wanted, and overall just getting more familiar with what I can find from certain sources.  Once I obtained all of my data, I made the following three maps.  I think the way I grouped the data in each map makes sense.  Feel free to comment below with any suggestions.


Map displays Hillsborough County and tries to highlight a section of Tampa


This one combines elevations and rivers along with wetlands and parks.  I thought these pairings were interesting as the elevation shows were rivers and streams are and the river vectors confirmed this.  I also found it interesting how the state parks in the county were centered around some of the larger wetland concentrations.  

This map simply shows where certain invasive plant species are found in the county.  Unfortunately due to the large number of different species available, they aren't easily distinguished on this map.  The data would be going for highlighting certain plant species if you knew what you wanted to show.  


No comments:

Post a Comment